News // Oil and gas worldwide
Turkey Re-Explains Its Comments On Nabucco Pipeline
23 January 2009 , 12:02880
Egemen Bagis, the Turkish minister for EU affairs, told reporters statements on Nabucco from Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan were misunderstood in the Western media, the Turkish daily newspaper Hurriyet reported Thursday.
"If we are faced with a situation where the energy chapter is blocked, we would, of course, review our position," Erdogan said earlier this week.
The Turkish bid for EU membership hit a roadblock stemming from disputes with the Greek government of Cyprus, which is blocking Turkey over the energy section of its accession bid.
Erdogan later said Turkey understood its "responsibilities" linked to Nabucco, and Bagis indicated Turkey had no precondition for moving on the Western-backed 2,050-mile pipeline.
Nabucco construction is slated for 2010 with initial gas transits scheduled for 2013. The planned route travels from the Caspian Sea to Turkey and on to Europe through Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary.
Supply and cost concerns haunt development on the $10.5 billion Nabucco project. Budapest hosts a Nabucco summit Jan. 26 and 27.
14:06 20.03.2019Gazprom's European gas sales remain low on warm weather
18:00 19.03.2019Moscow and Baku mull Russian oil to Turkey's STAR refinery
12:09 13.03.2019Gazprom stops transit of gas to Turkey through Bulgaria
12:10 06.03.2019Azerbaijan is 3rd largest gas supplier of Turkey
16:09 05.03.2019Decreased transit of Russian gas through Bulgaria to Turkey
16:06 20.02.2019Turkey to invest $23 million for TurkStream in 2019